Anti Plagiarism

11 February 2011

Chocolat - Food for the Gods

Sometime last year, I know I blogged about Chocolat as one of my favorite places to eat dessert in. And I also promised that I will write a more extensive review about the place. Here it is.

Last Sunday, February 6th, my friend Jenn, along with her sister and I met with a couple of new friends for a food trip. We had dinner at a restaurant along Malingap Street and decided to have dessert at Chocolat, Sgt. Esguerra branch.



There were 8 of us in the group, but unfortunately, Andrew is not so fond of dessert that he decided to skip it. We had a total of 6 different cake slices on the table which we all decided to taste.

First up


I was the only one who didn't order chocolate cake that time. I decided to go with their New York Cheesecake and if there's one thing I could say about it, it had that "melt in your mouth" feel to it. The texture is smooth, there was no grainy feeling of cheese and the cream, it was not heavy but really balanced out the sour taste of the cheesecake. The graham crust provided it with the right amount of sweetness, but not the rough texture common to some if not all cakes with the same crust.



My good friend Jenn got a slice of their Kahlua cake. It was a chocolate cake which was laced with Kahlua liquer and as you can see, topped with small bits of chocolate kisses.

I had a bite or two of this sinful cake. It was tasty and spongy, definitely not dry, however, it was too sweet.


This classic chocolate cake had some hazelnut spread filling and had one hazelnut chocolate cube on top of it. I tried a bite or two of this as well, and the first thing that came to mind was the lack of hazelnut flavoring. I can't say that it wasn't good, but it could have been a lot better if there was a little more hazelnut to give it that aroma and the flavor.


This slice spells death. Death to one's resolve to stay away from the calories and the sin of consuming the whole slice alone.

Death by Tablea, a chocolate cake with bittersweet icing made with native cacao and condensed milk. It was pure heaven! I had about three bites of this sinful slice and I fell in love with it. My new friend though had a different opinion. He said that it could be better if there was more tablea flavor to it. But in my opinion, if the bakers put more tablea, it would be quite bitter and difficult to swallow.

Not in the photo, Bailey's chocolate cake, Php65/slice. Classic chocolate cake soaked in Bailey's Cream liquer, topped with sprinkles. This was another slice to die for. Soft, moist, not too sweet, devilishly delicious and great on the palate. It satisfied my craving for my share of chocolate fix!


All of us had a mug of hot chocolate to go with our cakes. If you're asking if it was good, YES it was! It was made from tablea and if you don't stir it from time to time, you would lose the richness and thickness of the chocolate, because it will settle to the bottom of the mug. Did it go well with my cheesecake? I was surprised that it did justice to the slice that I ate.


Oh and before I forget, when we got there, I immediately rushed to the counter to order half a box of that sweet, but with the right amount of sour lemon taste lemon bars. I took it home as my "pasalubong" or my take home gift for hubby.

The reason for these cakes being so good is that the establishment only bakes a limited amount of cakes everyday. If you need a large or customized order of their cakes, please get in touch with them three (3) days in advance. During the holidays, please contact them seven (7) days in advance. And if you want specialty cakes, please check with a specific branch if they have it on stock, you may need to pre-order the specialty cake of your choice in some of their branches.

To get in touch with them:

Chocolat
Website: www.chocolatecakes.multiply.com

With branches at

Xavierville Avenue
Llanar Bldg., #77 Xavierville Avenue cor B. Gonzales Street, Quezon City
Tel. #: 9289304

San Juan
#205 P. Burgos cor A. Mabini Addition Hills, San Juan
Tel. #: 7260330

SM Mall Of Asia
G/F North Parking Bldg. Pasay City
Tel. #: 5560188

Sgt. Esguerra
1st Floor Courtyard Bldg.,
#26 Sgt. Esguerra Avenue, Quezon City
Tel. #: 9237584



Update: 07 July 2017: Sorry for the missing photos. My images used to be hosted on Photobucket and Now I can't download them to transfer them to another site so I can show them again here.