Eating Smart Quiz
- I eat at least five servings of vegetables and fruits every day. (yes or no)
- I eat at least six servings of bread, rice, pasta, and cereal every day. (yes or no)
- I drink reduced-fat or fat-free milk and yogurt, and seldom eat high-fat cheeses (yes or no)
- I rarely eat high-fat meat like bacon, hotdogs, sausage, steak or ground beef. (yes or no)
- I take it easy on high-fat based goods such as pies, cakes, cookies, sweet rolls, and doughnuts. (yes or no)
- I rarely add butter, margarine, oil, sour cream, or mayonnaise to foods when I'm cooking or at the table. (yes or no)
- I rarely (less than twice a week) eat fried foods. (yes or no)
- I drink six to eight glasses of water a day. (yes or no)
- I try to maintain a healthy weight at all times. (yes or no)
- I am physically active for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. (yes or no)
- I usually take the stairs instead of waiting for an elevator. (yes or no)
- I try to spend most of my free time being active, instead of watching television or sitting at the computer. (yes or no)
- I never, or only occasionally, drink alcohol.
And here's what I found out about my eating habits:Eating Smart Quiz
1. I eat at least five servings of vegetables and fruits every day. (yes or no)
- No. Since the market is quite far from where I live, we usually buy groceries for a whole week or sometimes two. We don't get to buy, cook and much less eat vegetables everyday.
- Yes, I eat more than three small meals a day. We recently got into the habit of substituting cereals for chips and junkfood.
- Yes. I avoid eating those tempting ice creams when hubby and I go out. When we buy milk in the grocery, we always go for the non-fat milk variety.
- Although the store bought bacon strips have a lot of flavor into them, I am now into making my own bacon strips (usually made out of lean cut meat - not much of a bacon, right?). When we go to the grocery, we buy lean ground meat (pork) or chicken breast fillet for our main dishes. So, I could, with confidence answer Yes to this question.
- One of my guilty pleasures is dessert. I would love to have cake and cookies all the time, but with me watching my weight, I would say that I only have my treats twice a month. As for my sugar fix, I just eat pop tarts, some whole grain biscuits and granola bars. This is another victory for me, so I have to say, YES.
- This one is quite tricky for me. Butter, I use lite butter (the spreadable type), then olive oil as much as I can - even when frying food. Mayonnaise, I also use the one that's labeled lite mayonnaise - which unfortunately tastes quite different from the regular mayo. However, I eat/use mayonnaise sparingly and rarely. Come to think of it, I haven't eaten anything with mayonnaise for about a month and a half now! Another YES for me then.
- Discovering the joys of using the oven toaster to "roast" our food made me lessen the time I cook, serve and eat fried food. These days, I know it can be expensive, but I either use olive oil or soy bean oil when I fry even a simple egg. I have to say, YES to this one as well.
- Ooooppps, I have to say no to this one. I drink about a liter or two of iced tea a day. Then the rest is water. This is a habit that I need to change.
- I'm still in the process of losing the extra pounds that I've gained over the years. But today, I'm happy to report that my goal of fitting into my size 30 tactical pants is a success. Sometime last year, I tried on two pairs of tailor made tactical pants, sad to say during those times, I was not able to fit into them. I set a goal for myself that come the 1st of January, I would be able to fit into them again. December 2010, I tried both pants and they fit! January 1st, both were more comfortable to wear and as of this writing (2 months after I wore those pants again), I'm happy to say that they both fit a little better. I think I should give myself a YES for this one
- Like what I mentioned, I'm in the process of losing the extra pounds. In order for me to do this, I work out at home using three of my fitness CDs (yoga, taebo and dancing) and the exercises are about an hour long each. The answer would be a YES.
- When I was working away from home - uhmm, NO. Our office is located at the 30th floor and taking the stairs all the way up would not be wise and healthy.
- For this question, I have to answer NO.
- Very rare, so I have to say YES to this.
So, how did I do?
0 - 4 Yes answers: Diet alert! Your diet is probably too high in fat and too low in plant foods like vegetables, fruits, and grains. You may want to take a look at your eating habits and find ways to make some changes.***********************************
5 - 8 Yes answers: Not bad! You're halfway there! Look at your "no" answers to help you decide which areas of your diet need to be improved, or whether your physical activity level should be increased.
9 - 13 Yes answers: Good for you! You're eating smart. Keep up the good habits and keep looking for ways to improve
Yipee!!! I got 9 YES answers which means I'm eating quite smartly. This makes me happy because I know that what I do for myself, I also do for my husband. Meaning, I'm preparing healthy meals for him and that I'm doing some things right for myself.
Thanks Jenn, for posting this and encouraging your readers to answer these questions.
To those who drop by this blog, try answering these questions and find out if you're on your way to eating smart.