Anti Plagiarism

04 March 2011

My Thai - Eastwood Mall Branch

It took me a long time before I tried to eat at My Thai after I first heard it from a friend of mine. Two Saturdays ago, hubby and I decided that it's time to give it a try. We went to My Thai, Eastwood City Mall Branch in Eastwood Cit, Libis.

The restaurant can only be described as something that you can take from a Hello Kitty coloring book. There were splashes of color on one side of the restaurant and in the middle, there's a big column that looks like it has drawers to it. Poor planning, the column made the place look smaller than it actually is.

We called the waiter and placed our orders. The waiter was efficient, although he didn't give us a time frame as to when our food will be served (toink!).

After tasting Thai iced tea from Jatujak, I made a vow to myself that I would always try this drink when ever I go to a Thai restaurant. As of this writing, I have been to four different restaurants and I still vote the Thai Iced Tea from Mango Tree Bistro as the best.

The Thai iced tea from My Thai tasted like ordinary iced tea with a splash of milk added for color and taste. However, I only tasted water, a little bit of tea and very little of milk. The aroma of this tea that I got used to from Jatujak and Mango Tree Bistro was not there. Let's just say that on a scale of 1 to 5, this version of Thai Iced Tea got a score of negative five (-5).

Food on the table consisted of two main dishes and a bowl of rice. The crispy fried tilapia is something that you could easily make at home. The taste of the fish was lost in the breading that they used. It was crispy, yes, but it was also flaky. It had the taste of raw or undisolved flour to it. The dip that was served with the fish was also bland. I expect Thai dishes to have that spicy kick, but this one clearly lacked in that department.

Next to test our taste buds was the Chicken in Red Curry Sauce. This version of curry was quite new to me. It had tomatoes in it which gave it that "sinigang" sour taste. The sauce was very thin, like water with food coloring. We both tried to stir the curry before we got a small serving, but the sauce was stubborn and it stayed thin and bland all through out lunch. You also have to look for the chicken because it was cut into very small pieces which "drowned" in the watery sauce (broth is more like it).

To deviate a little from the usual Thai Bagoong Rice, we decided to order the crab fried rice. To summarize the taste, it's not as good as it looks. It was lacking the taste of crabs and there were no discernable pieces of crab in the rice either.

After the meal, hubby told me that what we had was the most expensive bland homecooked meal that we ever had. Sadly, I have to agree to his statement. The whole experience was a sham. The food was bland and everything on the table lacked flavor and taste of its main ingredients.

The verdict:

Price: We paid Php1,000 for the whole thing. (2 viands, 1 bowl of rice, 1 Thai Iced Tea and 1 canned soda). If I were to rate it, I have to give it half a star.

Food Quality: No stars

Service: Half a star.

If you want to eat good Thai food, I would have to recommend Mango Tree Bistro (we paid the same amount and we had 2 viands - chicken and shrimp, 2  glasses of iced tea, 2 regular cups of rice, and dessert).

For the more budget concious, I would have to give the thumbs up to Jatujak (2 viands, Thai bagoong rice, 2  glasses of iced tea for less than Php1,000)

If you are nearer the Pasig Ortigas area, Banana Leaf at the Podium does deserve a visit. (We paid the same amount for 1 plate of salad, 2 viands, 1 Thai Bagoong Rice and 2 glasses of iced tea)




Update: 07 July 2017: Sorry for the missing photos. My images used to be hosted on Photobucket and Now I can't download them to transfer them to another site so I can show them again here.