But did you know that:
- Arkansas is the largest producer of rice in the U.S. accounting for about 46% of U.S. rice production.
- California is the second largest rice producing state, growing about 17.7% of the U.S. rice crop on more than 500,000 acres.
- September is National Rice Month.
- Rice is the first food a new bride in India offers to her husband and the first food offered to newborn babies.
- Rice is the main dietary staple for more than 1/2 of the world's population.
- One seed of rice yields more than 3,000 grains. It is the highest yielding cereal grain and can grow in many kinds of environments and soils, which is why it is grown everywhere.
- According to Shinto belief, the Emperor of Japan is the living embodiment of the god of the ripened rice plant, Ninigo-no-mikoto.
- Americans eat a little more than 24 pounds of rice per person each year. Asians eat as much as 300 pounds per person each year, while in the United Arab Emirates it is about 450 pounds, and in France about 10 pounds.
SOURCE: Food Reference